Southern Thirty Adolescent Center
Southern Thirty Adolescent Center (STAC) is a 30-day short-term emergency-shelter care facility that is located in Mt. Vernon, Illinois. The populations served are adolescents, ages 11-18. STAC focuses on empowering youth to make better choices so they can move forward and successfully transition to the next phase of their lives.
Youth in Care
Youth come to STAC for a variety of reasons.
- Some are in transition as they struggle with behavioral or emotional issues.
- Others have had unsuccessful foster home placements.
- Others have been removed from their home due to abuse or neglect.
The male youth reside at STAC 24 hours a day, seven days a week. During their stay, all their medical, psychiatric, nutritional, recreational and educational needs are addressed.
Foster Care/Day Treatment-Residential Alternative Program (STAC RAP)
Female youth referred to STAC participate in day programs from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day and return to LCFS licensed foster homes overnight. All individuals in the day program receive the same services as those in the shelter program.
Assessment and Planning
During their time at STAC , staff assess the youths’ strengths and long-term needs and develop individual plans, which help the transition to their new placements such as:
- Live with a foster family
- Enter a group home or residential center
- Return home or live with relatives
- Transition into independent living
Therapeutic EnvironmentTherapeutic services help the youth develop strategies and skills for a successful transition to the next phase of their lives. The following services are provided to individuals in both programs:
- Clinical assessments
- Crisis intervention and stabilization
- Individual and group counseling
- On-site educational services
- Psychiatric and medical medication monitoring
- Medical services
- Therapeutic recreation
Education at STAC The Office of the Superintendent of Schools provides education on-site. The teacher and an aide create an individualized curriculum for each youth based on his/her current educational needs.
All referrals are made by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Southern Thirty Adolescent Center 17077N. Illinois Highway 37 Mt. Vernon, IL 62864618-242-2238Fax 618-242-2239