Extended Family Support
The Extended Family Support program provides services to stabilize the home of a relative caregiver who has been caring
for children when their biological parents are no longer able to. The services help avoid the relative and
child involvement in the child welfare system and any disruption of the family placement.
Services provided include:
- Help obtaining guardianship and addressing legal authority
- Help obtaining a child only grant, subsidized day care and other entitlements
- Assistance with financial and housing issues
- Help enrolling children in the school district where the relative caregiver lives
- Cash and in-kind assistance for items needed to stabilize the household
- Identifies other needed services available in the community
LCFS helps resolve the short-term crisis and prepares relative caregivers to provide caring and nurturing homes for the children now in their care.Services are currently provided in Chicago and Cook County, as well as the rest of the Northern Illinois region. Services are also provided for Southern Illinois out of our Mt. Vernon office.
Our Clients. Their Stories.
Read one of our client’s stories called ‘Providing Hope in Difficult Times’.